Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving axolotl to new tank.

kumamon

Reaction score
Hi!

I've had my axolotl named Axel for a little over seven or so months, he's very well and healthy. Recently I've bought a larger tank for him so he can stretch his legs a little more! I'm planning on moving him from a 20 gallon long tank to a 35 gallon tank. I've never needed to change any of my pets to larger tanks but Axel is quite big and I want him to have as much space as possible.

I'm going to be using the filter currently set up in his tank in the new one as this filter can filtrate this amount of water. Would the water need to be cycled in this case? Do I take some the water from his old tank and place it into the new one so it's somewhat like a water change? And how would I go about moving him from the old to new tank with the least amount of stress put on him as possible?

I really have no idea what to do and would really appreciate as much help as possible!!

Libby2999

Reaction score
I would recoment setting up the tank and try to use the same filter media as the old tank so speeds up cycleing. Once that's all been fine and dandy get Axel in a bucket or something and fill it with just enough to submerg him with the water he's been in. I prefer drip acclimate. If you can't make a drip tube you can just scoop a cup of the new tank water and pour it in. Do a coup every 3 mins or so until most of the water came from the new tank. Then you can gently place Axel in the new tank and take down the old one. :)

It's ussualy really simple and the biggest risk is picking him up. I don't like nets for my axies cuz their toes get stuck so use two hands. One to hold the body and the other to cup the head. Be tight but gentle, they are strong and slippery but also sensitive skin.

Hope he likes his new tank! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1