Illness/Sickness: HELP!! Do I need to fridge? Constipation? Vomiting!

Zowie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We adopted an adult female axolotl from a friend over a week ago now (she's 8inches) and due to family trouble she was very neglected. She was only fed dried blood worm, Her tank was in a bad way and her filter had pretty much packed up. We moved her to a huge storage bin and have been doing daily water changes. We also fed her frozen blood worm until I got some earth worms and she ate the frozen fine. I also have her some pellets but she only ate one or two of these and left the rest. On Saturday she had 2 small earth worms cut up into small pieces and Sunday she ate a third of another. She now refuses to eat and She stil hasn't pooed (or if she has, she's eaten it) and backs off from any worms we now give her. The thing is, last night, she was sick and she was sick a lot. It appeared to all be blood worm and one pellet (unless the earthworms have digested and or broken down abit better).

I'm worried what to do now. I don't want to feed her anymore if she stil hasn't pooed. Her belly did look on the dark side before she vomited (she's albino). The question is, do I carry on tubbing her or should i now fridge her? (I'm also worried about this as I've never done it but have been told how).

Also just to note, she has been in a bare bottom tank for a while now so no chances of gravel impacting her.

Any advice I'd really appreciate.

Thanks

It's normal for their bellies to look darker after they eat.

I hope this will encourage you: when I first got my two axolotls, they had also been neglected (starved) for a while. The first time I fed them live worms, they both puked. Then Katla ate her vomited worms back up because she is a total pig, but it took Falkor a while to accept live worms again, and he still won't touch the big ones. I got him used to them again slowly: I went back to bloodworms then added one live worm, then two, etc. These days he eats about eight of them, which is roughly equivalent in mass to the half-nightcrawler that Katla receives, and he's off bloodworms entirely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back