Salamanders won't eat when fed

Sirbin2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
My two tigers have always taken crickets when I feed them, but for the last few months they've been acting differently. They rarely take when hand fed, and they haven't liked worms for at least a year (I try every once in a while). I have been releasing the crickets in their tank and from what I've seen they only eat them when they crawl right in front of or on their faces. I do make sure to include food in the tank for the crickets. This seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas for other foods they might be more interested in? They don't seem to like pinky mice anymore either. From what I've read on the care sheets they should be eating a few times per week but they definitely don't want to. I have a large tank set up with 6"+ of substrate for burrowing, two caves, and I keep it steady 69°. I'm not worried, just a little concerned and would like to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

The bigger they get the less often they eat. As long as they eat about once a week they should be fine.

Yeah night crawlers is what I've been feeding them. They are really big, they've never been skinny so I'm sure as long as they stay that way they should be okay. Thanks for the replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back