Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help !!! Unexpected Gift

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
A friend unexpectly stopped by my apartment with an unique gift. She came by with a marble salamander in a knitter keeper and covered with a paper towel and forest moss.
I have not completed any research or even established the aquarium. What do I do? I have 3 bricks of eco earth, a bottle of Prime and a 20 gallon aquarium. My apartment reads 72 - 75° and that's without any light.
I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!
I would say don't panic and throw an enclosure together in a rush, just keep your Sal cool and damp while you do some reading.
This Caudata Culture care sheet is a good place to start. :)

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma opacum

Tiger Salamanders have broadly similar requirements so this article may also be helpful;

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Good luck with your new pet, and don't be afraid of asking Q's in the help section if you get stuck with anything.

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
Thank you very much.
I soaked a brick of eco earth in dechlorainated cool water. I then put the eco earth in a plastic strainer and drained out the water until it was damp. I added a clean plant saucer with dechlorainated water. I covered the tank with a towel for darkness so that it could distress.
I hope I did everything correctly for a few days.:confused.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1