Axolotls biting

Katie916

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to owning axolotls. Before buying them, I did a ton of research to make sure I would be able to give them the environment and everything else they need so I've always been very careful with them to make sure they're as happy and healthy as possible.

I have two axolotls, one a leucistic and one a wildtype. When I got them 4 months ago they were probably 3 or 4 inches. The leucistic (Rufus) was probably half an inch smaller than the wildtype (Mushu) but they both seemed to get along fine with each other. They would swim around and bump into each other and even stacked a few times (there's pictures of them together within the two months after I first got them).

They are currently in a 10 gallon and have been since I got them. I know the 10 gallon is too small especially after they're fully grown but it is only temporary for another month or two max until I have room to get a 20 gallon long tank. The tank has fine sand and lots of fake plants with two pipe tubes, a large rock cave, and several terracotta pots (picture of the 10 gallon and normal set up below).

The tank has been running since September and cycled since the end of October (about 9 months). I check the water parameters once a week and all the levels have been fine and normal since October. I also do weekly 15% water changes or every other week 30% water changes if a week is unusually busy. And they get a full cube of frozen bloodworms each every other day. I have given them earthworms on and off and they love them but it's easier for me to use frozen bloodworms.

They are both about 6 inches long now and about 6 weeks ago I noticed a huge chunk, probably half an inch, missing from the end of Mushu's tail. Before that they had both been fine together. I put a divider in the tank for only a few days to let him start to heal without Rufus bothering him. Within three weeks it was already completely grown back. Sometime around that time I noticed a chunk the same size missing from the end of Rufus's tail. Again I put the divider in. At this point I was worried that they would continue biting each other so I left it in and it's been in for about three weeks (picture of Mushu's tail missing the chunk after it started growing back and the tank with the divider in below - Mushu is hiding under the filter and behind the tube).

Now that Rufus's tail has grown back, I decided to pull the divider out to see how they do together again. Before the divider was even out of the water, Rufus went after Mushu and bit him and he freaked out. He jumped so high out of the water and made such a big splash that I thought he may have jumped out of the tank (he didn't, thank God). So I put the divider back in and jumped on here to see if I could get any advice.

Is this probably something that is going to continue happening? Am I going to have to keep them separated?

Was Rufus going after Mushu just because they aren't used to each other anymore and they need time to get used to each other again? Or was Rufus biting out of aggression or something?

Is there anything I can do, aside from the 20 gallon long, so they don't have to be separated? Would a 20 gallon long even help at this point or should I consider getting a second 10 gallon and keep them in two different tanks?

On a side note, I read a while ago that their fingers turn black when they're full grown. Rufus is only 6 inches and yet her fingers are very dark. (I know Rufus is a boys name but I call her a she anyways because she's pink and she's too young to determine gender :happy: ) Does that mean she's done growing or almost done growing?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :happy:

Attachments

• 0402171618b.jpg
    0402171618b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 0402171616.jpg
    0402171616.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 0428170015.jpg
    0428170015.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 0604172217a.jpg
    0604172217a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 0709171711.jpg
    0709171711.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 0709171652.jpg
    0709171652.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 222
  • 0604172223.jpg
    0604172223.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 162
Hello! :)
I would say that you want to keep them separated sadly. I would maybe try again when you get the 20 gallon tank for them, maybe its just too small for the both of them and they are just acting out of wanting more space. I would also try feeding them every day, maybe they are just a little hungry and are wanting some more food, feed them each a cube a day, and allow them to eat what they want and after 30 minutes remove the food, and if they eat everyday maybe try again, that is what I do with my Axie and he loves it. Ummm just a note Wildtypes are more likely to be aggressive so that might just be part of it. I hope this helps :) I hope you get everything situated with your Axies and I would love to see updates on them! :)

Thank you for the advice!

I've read that wildtypes can be more agressive which is why I found it so strange when he was the one missing the piece of his tail first and when the leucistic went after him. Its the weirdest thing! When I pulled the divider out yesterday the wildtype didn't even move. And the leucistic just immediately went after him. They were a good foot apart too. Not even close to each other.

And I can try feeding them every day but their stomachs get so big and look like they're ready to burst after eating a whole cube so feeding them everyday worries me ? I'll definitely try it though and see if it helps.

Thanks!

If it makes you feel better try half a cube a day :)
I'm sure it wont hurt, also try feeding Nitecrawler Earthworms instead, they are the best thing for Axies! :) I believe them you can feed every other day. Get them from amazon, or the store though. :)

my 100 day olds are eating lots! i feed 2 times a day and yep 3 in a 20. gal long is perfct for now...they are over 5"...feeding them lots in the first 6 months of life wont hurt...and after they get older they settle down,but Im guessing the are leary of eachother now...only time will tell...sorry they not being nice....you sound like the perfect owner...any breeder would be proud to sell to! Good luck!

To answer your question, your axolotls are definitely not done growing! They are still babies. Changes in toe colour are an indicator of maturity but using common sense they are still much, much smaller than a fully grown adult, plus they are not even a year old yet!

Secondly, because they are babies they are going to be more aggressive with each other. As axolotls age they settle down, the babies are the ones who are constantly trying to eat each other. I would imagine that once your two are fully grown they will hopefully be okay living together, but you can keep them separated for now if it makes you more comfortable. The bigger tank may also help as they'll not run into each other as much. I'm sure you're going to do this anyway, but make sure you introduce them both into the new tank at the same time, as the first one in will think of it as his territory and will not enjoy another axolotl entering the space.

Finally, have you made sure that there are at least 2 hiding spots for your axies? Each one should have a hide that they can retreat to when they feel threatened. This may also help.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back