Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Camallanus in my axolotl tanks

Biev

Reaction score
My two axolotls are housed separately, and both of their tanks have guppies. (Yes, the axies do snack on them once in a while, and yes, I'm very much regretting not getting them their own tank at the moment.)

The guppies in one of my tanks have camallanus worms, which means the other tank is likely affected as well. Normally I would treat both tanks with levamisole, since I've read that camallanus worms are resistent to most other deworming products... Does anyone know if there is a doseage that would kill the parasites but not harm the axies?

For that matter, does anyone know if the parasite itself can infect axolotls? Would there be a point to rehoming them during the treatment?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest a visit to your vet for a consult regarding the axolotl. From a brief search, your axolotl could possibly be infected, therefor I would not re-home the axolotl until they have been treatment. I personally would then wish to keep hold of them for a few months longer to check that they do not develop any symptoms.

Last edited:

Biev

Reaction score
You're right. I'll try to find a vet who knows a thing or two about aquatic species...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1