Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Growth chart? Feed what, when? New and nervous!

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
Hey new friends! :D
Am I missing where a generalized growth chart may be located? I know everyone grows different and develops different, so obviously not a black and white age=blah.

When do we start getting front and back legs?
When do we get lungs?
When do we get to start the big kid foods and pellets?
When is it time to move from little containers to a tank?
When can you tell if we are melanoid?
When do we settle into our final colours?

16 days ago, I picked up a bakers dozen newly hatched babes. I was told they were about a week old at that time. So, 7+16=23ish days old.

Where am I developmentally at 3 weeks old?

When do I get to stop with the baby food BBS and Daphnia and move to the big kids table... (guessing next step) the live blackworms? And do they get a whole one because they look like they would choke to death on those things!

When do we transition to the adult table and have earthworms? And what about pellets?

Can you guess what kind of colour they are at 3 weeks? My albino sure aren't white, they are somewhere between clear and the colour of corn on the cob.

:eek: they have clear gills how in the WORLD can I tell if they are stressed gills or fuzzy because they are growing in their whispy things or they have fuzz on them or they are stressed? Hello, invisible!!! I even try to zoom in with my camera to get a closer look and it is all Greek to me.

I mean, I have to say after years of wanting one, I am hooked. I am a sucker. The other half said they were ugly and couldn't believe I was finally going to buy one. And you will never guess who is watching after I feed each bin of babies!! Total hook, line and sunk!

:eek: If you have managed to get this far reading, hey, thanks for following along! New things are scary sometimes and you always want to do things "perfect." I just can't seem to track down all the answers.
Thanks!!!!

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
Oh... AND....

blackworms....

How do I feed them blackworms? Do I give them whole? They look like a total choking hazard! :eek:

How many do they eat in a day?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1