Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Off topic juvenile newts

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I have 2 louisiana newts, they eat all the baby's plus eggs they find. Sometimes when vacuuming the tank I get 1 I now have 3. I know it will definitely die, so I put them with 2 juvenile
C orientalis They are about a year and a half, they where in and out of water for about 2 months. Then they climbed on land and never whent back in??:( now about a week ago the Louisiana newt came on land. It crawled around the tank and picked this spot luckily they haven't tried to eat it.

I do not have time to feed baby's. They have lived off what's in aquarium and scuds that have been in there since the orientalis where put in this 5 gallons. I will not leave them together for to long but since there not old enough to breed is this ok in till its big enough to go to new oner? It could still be eating scuds and I don't have any other place to put them with scuds or good aquarium water.

Attachments

• 15003985603691591605218.jpg
    15003985603691591605218.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170718_114413.jpg
    20170718_114413.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20170718_114424.jpg
    20170718_114424.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 94

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not ideal and if both species are spending time on the moss island it suggests they want to be terrestrial or there's something they don't like about the water. Either way they'll feel quite exposed on the island without any cover. Presumably the Eastern newts have a terrestrial phase? Perhaps they need a different setup altogether.

The questions to be addressed should be: - Why are they out of the water? Does each species have different housing requirements at this stage of life? If they don't enter the water what are they eating? What are the risks of mixing these species?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1