Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

BAD advice from Philip Vena...

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Why is this guy still breeding..(philip Vena) it was very painfull reading about "water dragons" OK I GET IT,YOU CALL THEM WATER DRAGONS!!! :confused:, and how his advice is the best....does he know that some of his info hes putting out there is plain wrong? Im no expert but Axolotls feeding guidelines were laughable..and this really got me going SEE BELOW: :violent:QUOTED from his web site...
Why, just why...and they even had a so called customer slam this site!My Rant over...

What about the water?
Water Dragons – Axolotl like Cold (57° to 68°F) Clean Water. If your water is safe for you to drink then it will be safe for an Axolotl that is 3 inches long or longer. At that age, your Axolotl’s lungs are fully develop and they are using their lungs to breathing air. However, if your water is not safe to drink then it would not be safe for your Axolotl. If you do not know if your water is safe to drink then check with your local government or have a laboratory do a test to see if you have safe drinking water. You can also use water filters or a reverse osmosis water filter to make your water safe for drinking.

If you can use tap water for your water changes let the water run so that it gets as cold as possible. Whether you have a filter in your tank or not you still need do 90%water change once per week. It is better to change too much water than too little. By doing water changes every week this will help stop the build up of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels in your tank. Ammonia (cause by the Water Dragon’s Urine) and the Nitrite and Nitrate (cause by the Water Dragon’s Waste and Rotting Food) that is in the water. If you do a water changes the 1 per week you will be removing 90% of the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate in your aquarium. If you do not do a weekly water changes then the levels of Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrate in your aquarium will reach levels that will kill your Water Dragon. So it very important that you do water changes 1 per week. Doing water changes each week will greatly extend the life of your Water Dragons – Axolotl.

Water Dragons – Axolotl have lungs like we do and are air breathers, unlike fish that has gills and would breathe the chlorine in the water. The chlorine will turn into a gas and be out of the tank within 24 hrs. By leaving the chlorine in your water it will kill any harmful bacteria and fungus that may be on the Water Dragons – Axolotl or in the tank.

One last point regarding chlorine, as you know swimming pools have chlorine levels that are 1,000s of times higher than drinking water. Can you please tell me how many people have died from swimming in chlorinated pools? Please include Babies and competitive Swimmer who swim up to 4 hrs per day in a chlorinated pool; in your total. …

And the ANSWER is 0 … No person has ever die from swimming in a chlorinated pool, which has chlorine levels 1,000s of times higher than drinking water; because Water Dragons and Humans are air breather and use their lungs to breath the Air not the Water. By taking time to do water changes each week will greatly extend the life of your Water Dragons – Axolotl.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
he also states 2 adults live fine without a filter in a 10 gallon....:confused: I worry about bad advice..like this...makes it harder on everyone else educating....

xxianxx

Reaction score
The axolotl community is well aware of this idiot, his advice is probably the worst available online.

Genny

Reaction score
What an utter moron. I've never even heard of this guy. I wish he'd go and take some lessons on grammar. Does he have axi's of his own? If so, how has he not murdered them by now? It's very easy to find good advice on the internet about axolotl (not "water dragons", which are an entirely different creature) so hopefully most people over look him.

How ridiculous.

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Yes, tried searching in this site on him,didnt really find much,so i wanted to give any newbies who might of accidently stumbled onto his page and left very confused....we really dont need idiots making more people clueless....so sad...thank god eventally the smart ones end up finding us here!! .

Natalieeaton

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and even I could tell this wasn't right. Hope he doesn't fool anyone.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1