Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Enriching salamanders habitat

Tarabull

Reaction score
I have a siren intermedia. I have had her for around 3 years now. When I boight her she was around 8-10 inches. About 6 months ago I decided to overhaul her tank. I took out the plastic plants and put in live plants. I decided to give her more live food options so she was getting more exercise and her life was more natural. When I started to do this she was around 14 1/2 inches long. She was looking longer to me so I measured her the other day and she is 16 to almost 17 inches long now. She is starting to get too big for her tank. She is now a lot more round and muscular, and her gills are growing like crazy too. I think she uses them to feel movement in the water for food because they are fanned out when she is waiting for the food she's hunting to come near. I'm attaching an early picture during the tank change and a now picture to compare her gills.

Has anyone else had their salamanders grow by changing their habitat and food to something more natural?

On a side note, I have a second siren (they have separate tanks of course) that is just a little guy at about 7 inches. At what size will a siren start showing its sex? I don't know what to call it. I can't find much of anything on their life changes online.

Attachments

• 20170512_102628.jpg
    20170512_102628.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 157
  • 20170723_111027_001.jpg
    20170723_111027_001.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 114
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1