Help Please! BAD wound on by barred tiger

Squatch Hunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
A friend of mine is taking care of my salamander and he just sent me a picture of a really bad wound. We have absolutely no idea how it could have occurred. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated because I am kind of freaking right now. Thanks!

edit: I meant "my" not "by"

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 155
It could be a bite from something or a nasty infection. I would personally want to rule out an infection promptly, so it is crucial to have this seen by a vet.
Out of interest, do vets in the states treat wild (caught) animals free of charge? In the UK they do, it may be worth asking.

Julia,
Thanks, is there anything I should do in the meantime before taking to the vet?

I'd treat with triple antibiotic or silvidine.
It could be an infection from being kept to wet or in rotting medium.

Wow that does not look nice.
I'm not a vet but I would try next.
It looks like the tail is broken.
The tail tip is somewhat angular to the rest of the tail.
A mild disinfection of the wound might be sufficient.
Furthermore, I would keep the animal less wet than shown in the picture.
For example, you might have a thicker layer of tissues so that the air humidity remains high but there is no direct skin (wound) contact with the water.
Observe the condition several times a day. Improvement should go fairly quickly.
Now I'm not going to make friends. If the tail tip changes color, it dies or becomes infected because there is insufficient blood flow, then cut it off. In nature, salamanders sometimes lose a bit of tail and do not bother.
I do not know much so ask others too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back