Scientist Hoping to Raise Newts

NewtNewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm a researcher in Missouri studying retinal regeneration and I'm hoping to be able to use the newt as a model organism to study this phenomenon. I was lucky to find this site and the great community here. It seems like everyone is pretty helpful when it comes to finding out how to care for, raise, and breed their newts. Little is known about the mechanisms by which these animals regenerate and I would hope to be able to explore this further. In particular, I came on here looking for a source of notopthalmus viridescens viridescens, but I'm happy to join in the community and learn about all the challenges that come with raising these intriguing animals!

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Unfortunately I don't think there's a regular supplier of captive bred Notos, I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though.
Wild caught ones are often available through the pet trade, but apart from the ethical issues they're usually highly stressed and difficult to acclimate to captivity.

Sounds like interesting research. Would love to know how you went about choosing what to use!

This species is not captive bred, and extremely difficult to raise by the few who have in the past. Perhaps you could work with a different species that is more easily raised? Axolotls? I think that is the research species of choice.

ribbed newts are easily bred, tough, and do well in lab settings. Some of mine were sent to outer space for regeneration studies. Notopthalmus might be o.k. but you will have a tough time obtaining c.b. stock.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back