Axolotl won't eat?

rmschilling

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
FloofyAxolotl
I recently switched to nightcrawlers (I believe I started last weekend?). He adapted very quickly and seemed to enjoy them but I started noticing his behavior was changing. He wasn't as active and curious and he didn't nibble at my fingers like usual when I fed him. And today he tried to eat them but had difficulty and spit them out. I'm really worried that he might be sick. I also cleaned his tank today, but that hasn't ever changed his eating behavior. I'm worried that the worms I gave him weren't safe and they got him sick. Please help

I would try feeding him whatever you were feeding him previously, to see if he'll eat it. Sometimes they gorge themselves on something because it's new until they reach a point where they're kind of sick of it.

Yeah, I switched him back to bloodworms (what he was eating previously) and he seems to be eating just fine now. But his behavior is a bit off. I'm not sure if it's part of his developmental stage or if he's still recovering from the nightcrawlers but he's not as active lately. He's also become very shy and scared of my fingers all of a sudden which I don't really understand because he would always get so excited when I put my hand in the tank during feeding.
He also keeps opening his mouth really wide every once in a while and it's kind of worrying..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back