Question: Needhelp! [Axolotl layed eggs]

Saxon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi! First let me start off by saying I never knew they were gonna have babies. And they did, so I did some research and have ordered some brine shrimp eggs. But I still need a bit of help and so I have a few questions to ask :D
First, I read after hatching they dont eat for 24-48 hours, how am I supposed to know when they are hungry? How often do I feed them and how much do I feed them? I have a hundred or so eggs, I know not all of them will make it. Also, when they grow their front legs is this their cannibalistic stage? And last question for now, some eggs are black and white, some are both, is it just different coloured axolotls? Cheers, I'll do some more research now!

Hopefully they aren't siblings. Haha :happy:

Start with practicing hatching brine shrimp before the eggs hatch. It can take practice when you're first learning. I start brine shrimp when I notice my first hatchling. I typically get a little bit to hatch after 24 hours, enough to offer the first few hatchlings. More BBS will hatch over the next 24 hours. You won't need much to start with a small clutch. Maybe 1/4 tsp. I'm guessing there.

Feed the axie hatchlings 1-2 twice a day. Twice is better. Do a water change to remove uneaten/dead BBS after about 30 min after feeding. Use cool dechlorinated water just like the adult axies. Be very careful, the hatchlings are fragile.

Forget about the term "cannabalistic stage." Axolotls can and will injure and try to eat other at ANY age and size if they are hungry from not being well fed, or in too confined of a space without enough hides. It happens. So just expect to always be cautious and watching out for that.

Healthy eggs will be clear, bad eggs will be cloudy. Most eggs are black and white, except eggs from an albino which will be white. Egg colors have no bearing on phenotype. Experienced breeders can sometimes tell prior to hatching, and having good lineage helps. But sometimes it's difficult to tell until weeks after hatching.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back