MINI to MINI breeding?

Hellcat73

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Gizmo And Gang!
Ok Im really hoping to get some resposes here on this one...because i have a very small yearling i just dub a "mini" im wondering if anyone has tried to breed a new type of axo..ie minis? wondering if I found another mini axo female if they bred if they would produce normal sized axos or will they have a small percentage as minis(aka-runts)lol..I mean we can scale down dog breeds by breeding smaller dogs to smaller dogs ad so forth,so is ths the same in axolotls? curious if this has been done and to what sucess rate?;)

BXJACKzjhVl

Basically, you have no way of knowing if his mini size is due to genetics or to some other factor. It could be due to poor care early on (I'm assuming you didn't raise him from an egg). It could be some deficiency in any aspect of digestion or growth hormones. It could be a genetic mutation that happened at any time from the parent's reproductive cell formation through to the embryonic development. It COULD be anything, really.
Also, he could have other, invisible genetic defects that go along with his size. (For example, blue eyes in white cats are linked to deafness. When there is only one blue eye, the cat is often deaf on that side as well. Also in cats, the calico coloration is fatal in males). I would not suggest you intentionally breed an animal with unknown genetics, particularly because he does have an abnormality. As you mentioned dogs, I will point out that the selective (in)breeding of canines has resulted in almost every breed having it's own health issues. When you mess with genetics based on looks (phenotype) or behavior, you have no idea what effects you're having on the genotype, and therefore what messed up animal you may end up with.

thank you for that answer,you are totally right...it would be crazy to mess with the health stock of axolotls,seeing how comprimised the pet stock is with accidental inbreeding etc...unless its been a controled breeding over many years etc...maybe...but throwing 2 unknown axo's together might not be a responsible idea. I do know where he came from,and the breeder isnt just some random person with a oopsy breeding...and the little guy I met and raised for a bit until selling him...was particullrly small even back then...I was lucky enough to have a chance to buy him back..he is in all ways healthy so far..and I DO NOT PLAN ON LETTING HIM BREED ..FYI just really curious as to if anyone has sucessfully bred the scaled down version of axos...but if it requires, inbreeding..i NEVER was a fan of it...EVER..so I may not be that person..lol....as a future ethical breeder,im not jumping into this lightly...I plan on keeping track from here on out the lines I produce...as i want healthy quality axolotls for the Canadians here..anyone can have axos...mostly by accident but I do not want to be that person....this is my own thing,and i mean not to point fingers at anyone..as we all have had these guys breed quite naturally in our tanks..and thats the problem...lol..these guys are happy little breeders! Hahahah

If you know the breeder, you should ask about his lineage and if there have been other small guys produced. Maybe it is a genetic link you can follow back through generations. After all, with such prolific breeders, it's likely it would show up more than once. That might prove interesting!

I'm glad you don't plan to breed. I misunderstood your post as wanting to breed minis and asking if anyone knew of it happening; like to find a smaller female. Sorry for that. I'm a little sensitive when it comes to breeding as I've seen the horrible effects all the backyard breeders in my area have had on dogs. So many do it for quick money and the animals suffer. My own rescue dog was used for breeding and either discarded or she ran away. She was emaciated, had mange, a secondary skin infection, an open wound and had clearly just weaned a litter of puppies when she was found. I digress from axies, but it's all related in my head! LOL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back