Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Dusty tank?

stefan429

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have 2 juvy axolotls in a 20 long tank. Recently ive been getting a lot of dust particles in the tank. This morning they were sprinkled everywhere. Im not sure what im doing wrong. I just changed the water maybe ~20%. The whole setup is 2 weeks old, thats when i got them. I have a fluval filter, a fan running above an open top aquarium, sometimes i cover it with a carboard piece to try and avoid the dust contamination but it doesnt seem to work. They also seem to be stress because i see their tails slightly curled a lot. But the ears/hair is never really curved forward, though.

In the pics you see my setup, took out decorations to clean. The other pic is the little black particles i took out already.

Attachments

• 1504356025990264979998.jpg
    1504356025990264979998.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 20170902_083203.jpg
    20170902_083203.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 163

LippyNix

Reaction score
If you are using carbon filters and don't rinse them well enough or they have a tiny rip in them, they will release black particles into the tank. If you are feeding worms and don't clean them well enough or they shoot out a little bit of dirt as they are eaten, that can produce black particles. If those 2 things aren't the cause, I have no idea what it could be. Dust won't usually be black. Also, that filter needs something to break up the water flow back into the tank if you don't already have something. That can stress them out. Are you testing your water? If the tank is 2 weeks old, it's cycling and parameters will spike quickly to dangerous levels, so you have to keep on top of it. I'm just typing anything that comes into my head, so I'm sorry if it seems random or harsh. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1