Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with new axolotl

StormBugs

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've recently purchased my first axolotl after much deliberation and research. He's been doing splendid for the past few weeks he's been here, but I was hoping to ask for a bit of advice.
At his previous residence, he was housed in a tank with two or three other axies, but their tank burst (owner didn't tell me exactly how or why) and all the axies washed out onto the floor. After that they were kept in a smaller emergency tank, I think about 10-15 gallons or so. He's in a much bigger tank by himself now and seems happy, but his gills look almost mauled up and generally unhealthy . . . I'm assuming the poor and overcrowded conditions might have done a number on him before. The toes on his front right foot also seem to have grown sort of odd (Maybe past injury?) but I don't think there's anything I can do about that.

So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to aid in his recovery and keep his tank conditions optimal?

The water levels have all read normal (Last checked today)
Water temp stays around 64-66 Fahrenheit
He gets fed a mix of earthworms and occasionally pellets

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!