Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this okay??????????

jcrose220

Reaction score
I have been feeding my axolotl blood worms and occasionally brine shrimp since I got him one month ago as a juvenile, he has been doing perfectly fine, eating normally, swimming around a lot, gills and tail are immaculate, and water parameters are perfect. All around, the healthiest little guy ever. But I fed him a few pieces of a nightcrawler worm for the first time today (about 2 hours ago) and now he just violently threw them all up and some bloodworms form the night before, and pooped out sooooo many worms it was unbelievable. It scared the hell out of me..do you think everything is OK?! Was he constipated and ate too much food, or is he sick!!! Please help before I die of worry.

smaxolotl

Reaction score
I have been feeding my axolotl blood worms and occasionally brine shrimp since I got him one month ago as a juvenile, he has been doing perfectly fine, eating normally, swimming around a lot, gills and tail are immaculate, and water parameters are perfect. All around, the healthiest little guy ever. But I fed him a few pieces of a nightcrawler worm for the first time today (about 2 hours ago) and now he just violently threw them all up and some bloodworms form the night before, and pooped out sooooo many worms it was unbelievable. It scared the hell out of me..do you think everything is OK?! Was he constipated and ate too much food, or is he sick!!! Please help before I die of worry.
Any update on this?

How big is your axolotl?

It sounds like it's still relatively small based on feeding it brine shrimp. I know with my young ones, it is taking them longer than I would expect to keep down chunks of actual nightcrawlers, even when I thought they were pretty small pieces.

It's probably a GOOD thing the little one threw up, as it probably indicates the food was too big. I'd recommend sticking with your current diet (maybe working in pellets would be good, but again this varies by size) and revisiting in a few weeks when it has grown some more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1