Question: My axolotl tank

msmonami29

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my axolotl tank is high in nitrates but low in ammonia, what do I do to help balance the tank I'm also do the aquaponics to help as well

How long has the tank been set up? If it has any ammonia, it does not sound cycled.

For a start, I would perform half a water change today and another in a few days.

Good luck.

I have had he tank set up for about 6 months, I do water changes once a week and only about half water at that but if it will help to change the water more frequently I will. I'm also using a prime solution that gets rid of harmful toxins to my tank as well aquaponics a low pressure filter with charcoal to boot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back