Possibly Sick Axolotl

brokealini

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got my first Axolotl. I've had her for about 3 days. She's living in a 20 gallon tank with a small filter that is diffused so no current, a live plant, a sand bottom (the picture has pebbles but I already fixed the substrate and definitely no pebbles were eaten), she has 2 hide-a-ways made of stone with no sharp edges, temp is at 66-68F, water is cloudy but not sure why, she hasn't eaten at all since I've had her. I've tried to feed frozen blood worms (that's what she ate at the pet store) but no luck.

Her gills look like they have little bubbles on them, they haven't faced forward at all and she seems to be acting normal, though how would I know...

Attachments

• output (2).jpg
    output (2).jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 132
I just got my first Axolotl. I've had her for about 3 days. She's living in a 20 gallon tank with a small filter that is diffused so no current, a live plant, a sand bottom (the picture has pebbles but I already fixed the substrate and definitely no pebbles were eaten), she has 2 hide-a-ways made of stone with no sharp edges, temp is at 66-68F, water is cloudy but not sure why, she hasn't eaten at all since I've had her. I've tried to feed frozen blood worms (that's what she ate at the pet store) but no luck.

Her gills look like they have little bubbles on them, they haven't faced forward at all and she seems to be acting normal, though how would I know...

I don't know if you've figured out a solution yet, but what are your water levels? Sometimes if the water is out of wack, it could effect their appetite.

Also, her tail looks curved, indicating stress. Is her light on all the time, it does she have dark periods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Her tail isn't curved, maybe in the picture its kind of against a rock but she doesn't hold it that way. Her gills still look the same with the bubbling. Maybe its because shes young but she doesn't have that kind of plume of her gills that other axies look like they have. Shes eating a good amount and seems happy, water levels are all good.

I got my second one a week ago and their gills look the same. I would say it is due to their age and they have to "grow into them". Glad to hear she's eating better! I've never fed mine bloodworms, does you're enjoy them? I usually feed them sinking pellets I got from the fish store with the exception of earthworms once a week as a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've only had the axolotl for several days, my guess is that it is acclimating to its new environment. Perhaps it would be worthwhile finding out what the store/breeder fed the axolotl in their care and start with that.

Also, earthworms should be the staple meal for an axolotl as it contains all the required nutrients. They should not be regarded as treats.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back