Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axie Unknown Origin

Kellie32073

Reaction score
9 days ago I purchased 2 Beautiful Lucy’s from a local Fish store. Not a lot of background was given. The only thing I was told was they were approximately 8 months old. I anxiously took them home to incorporate my lovely new friends into our family. I’ve spent months researching and preparing for the “kids” Both seemed to adapt well into their new home. They didn’t appear to be stressed at all. I live in florida so it’s tough to keep the water as cool as I would like but I’m maintaining about 68*. I test daily and All parameters are WNL. But my babies refuse to eat. I’ve offered everything that I have ever read that an axie might possibly like. Within 4 days the seller and I came to an agreement to trade one of them out, as they were almost identical it was impossible to tell which one was or wasn’t doing what. Ie eating, pooping, active etc. So I bring home the cutest little Wild who is doing amazing. At that time I found out that these 2 were obtained from Craigslist and absolutely no information was available. So Tonight 9 days later it dawned on me that maybe my Lucy is constipated or impacted from the previous home. I have no clue what living conditions they were in or on. And I can’t help but think the previous owner got rid of them when they discovered there was a problem. So of course I’m worried sick that maybe I’ve let him go too long without eating or pooping. I honestly just thought he was taking time to settle in. Obviously I won’t be able to get him into a vet until Monday, So I researched and opted that refrigerating him was probably the safest way to hopefully get him through the weekend. I set my fridge at 44* and I have a gallon of dechlorinated water in the same fridge for water changes. Is there anything I should or shouldn’t be doing?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Constipation or blockages are common with petstore Axolotls, but aren't usually fatal ir caught in time. Just keep it cool and quiet 'till you can get to the vets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1