New enthusiast, new vivarium.

hippos8mydaddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! First off, thanks for the great advice so far as a lurker here.

I started off building a vivarium because of my love of plants. I wanted to grow a variety of mosses, ferns, and orchids to watch bloom.
I wanted to recreate a creek waterfall. Well, the project kept growing and I put together a rather big setup and now it feels lacking. I've been doing research and I feel like a good variety of newts may be perfect inhabitants.

Vivarium Setup: It's a 36"x24"x42" custom wood enclosure with foam/cork/wood backing. Glass walls and underwater viewing! Under tank sump with a filter. I don't have doors (yet) as I'm trying to let my plants breathe as much circulating air so they can root.

Help Me Out!

What species do you think would be most happy in this type of environment? And where can I obtain one or two?

There is constant moving water, only 3" deep in most parts. There is a lot of land, nooks and crannies, and leaf litter to hide in. The temperature is pretty much "room temp" all year round. Hot days in So Cal (like today's 102 F) and it's only 71 degrees in the tank.

I'm looking to get something in a couple months once the plants have really taken root.

My Favorites:
California Newt
Eastern Newts (Red Efts)
Marbled Newt (Specifically pigmy)
Blue Spotted
Red Salamander (My Favorite as I remember them as a kid growing up in the Blue Ridge Mountains)

Attachments

• IMG-7567.jpg
    IMG-7567.jpg
    916.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG-7568.jpg
    IMG-7568.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 112
Beautiful setup!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back