Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I get a tile for my axi

Mackiot

Reaction score
So i was wondering, I have substrate in my axlotl tank, and was wondering if it would be smart to get a small tile or dish and feed her in that one spot on it? To reduce the risk of her swallowing the substrate when she sucks in her food. For the most part she already does only eat in one spot. I rotate between worms and pellets and this might make clean up in the tank a little easier since most of the mess would be on the tile and I could just clean it right off. She's not impacted or anything, shes honestly a little pig, but I want the risks of it happening be be slim to none.

Sufia

Reaction score
Honestly, to ensure the risks are slim to none: just eliminate the problem and remove the substrate.

Eternie

Reaction score
You can easily buy a food dish for a lizard/gecko, but it has to be big enough, or it will float, then just kinda dig it into the sand, it is easy, and keeps them from eating the substrate, which should be sand. I do it. I wouldn't suggest removing the substrate (unless it is gravel. gravel is evil for axies, use sand) because though a lot of people do it, when they axies get older it stresses them out because they can't grip onto the ground. I hope this helps :)
Sand wont hurt them though, they will either spit it out, or it will just go right on through the digestive system.

Biev

Reaction score
If anything fits in their mouths you should assume that your lotls will try to eat it at some point, feeding dish or not.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!