Illness/Sickness: Help! My axie is doing very ill and I’m not sure why.

Lkw1991

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I’ve recently moved back into my parents house where my avid lives. He’s not well. He has two growths on his back, his tail is very red and now he’s getting extremely bloated and not pooping or eating. Ive purchased an ammonia alert that sits in the tank and says ammonia is fine. I’ve checked the ph which was a little high but I’ve managed to reduce that to safe levels. I really don’t know what to do to help him. I’ve been doing regular partial water changes and I’ve been using API stress coat for the water. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• B66D2229-5769-4F4E-94DA-953EE6A55A2A.jpg
    B66D2229-5769-4F4E-94DA-953EE6A55A2A.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 5D405B6C-6D85-4B7F-9D24-5CA9CE4C8364.jpg
    5D405B6C-6D85-4B7F-9D24-5CA9CE4C8364.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 117
  • D1C87CD4-72B0-46A1-81A1-0AFE54E878ED.jpg
    D1C87CD4-72B0-46A1-81A1-0AFE54E878ED.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 119
Re: Help! My axis is doing very ill and I’m not sure why.

I’m sorry for my horrible typos. It’s 2am and I’m very tired. Also a noob so not sure how to fix it.

So I’ve recently moved back into my parents house where my avid lives. He’s not well. He has two growths on his back, his tail is very red and now he’s getting extremely bloated and not pooping or eating. Ive purchased an ammonia alert that sits in the tank and says ammonia is fine. I’ve checked the ph which was a little high but I’ve managed to reduce that to safe levels. I really don’t know what to do to help him. I’ve been doing regular partial water changes and I’ve been using API stress coat for the water. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello! I'm sorry to see your little guy going through this. I'm not a veterinarian or anything, so I'm not comfortably qualified to comment on the tail redness or the growths.

But I can tell you that I've read more than a few warnings about such ammonia alerts being either inaccurate/prone to being defective or not providing enough of a warning specifically for axolotls. That's not to say it's junk, but I would not rely that item alone. The API freshwater liquid testing kit comes highly recommended in the community for accurate ammonia/nitrate/nitrite readings.

A lot of owners find success in treating bloat/constipation with a fridging regimen. If you search for "fridge axolotl" and constipation or bloat, I'm sure some potentially very helpful threads will be suggested to you.

I hope your little one recovers swiftly!
-smax

Hello! I'm sorry to see your little guy going through this. I'm not a veterinarian or anything, so I'm not comfortably qualified to comment on the tail redness or the growths.

But I can tell you that I've read more than a few warnings about such ammonia alerts being either inaccurate/prone to being defective or not providing enough of a warning specifically for axolotls. That's not to say it's junk, but I would not rely that item alone. The API freshwater liquid testing kit comes highly recommended in the community for accurate ammonia/nitrate/nitrite readings.

A lot of owners find success in treating bloat/constipation with a fridging regimen. If you search for "fridge axolotl" and constipation or bloat, I'm sure some potentially very helpful threads will be suggested to you.

I hope your little one recovers swiftly!
-smax

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am going to fridge him today and I will get the correct water testing kits in the meantime. Thanks again!

Have you always used the API stress coat? Some axolotls can have allergic reactions to it.
And you should show this to a vet asap...

Redness usually means a bacterial infection?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back