Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Am I ready?

oOFyreflyOo

Reaction score
So next week mid week, I am obtaining 2 Axolotls. I set up their tank to begin cycling it. So far the PH is just right, and the temperature is a little warm, but I filled it this way because its easier to cool it down than warm it up and will not be putting them in there until it is ideal temperature.

I decided not to use any rocks or substrate on the bottom, as I heard it is easier to clean this way. Instead on the bottom I used the spray paint that makes it look like stone. On the outside of course!

I couldn't find any hideaways without sharp edges so I opted for a PVC pipe and some artificial plants.

The filter is a sponge filter, that I am currently using a air pump in as I also read this is a good choice.

Two questions, One does this home look Axolotl friendly? It is also a 20g long.

Two, How much current is too much? The filter as seen below is on the left and the plants on the right aren't moving at all.... will this still be too much flow?

IMG_5932_zps1z9itdez.jpg

IMG_5933_zpseumavm4z.jpg

Jessdino

Reaction score
It looks like a wonderful home for your axolotls! I actually use a side filter for mine and have no problems with current. Mine actually seem to like it... They're weird. Have a side with a bit of current and one without any it perfectly fine. Most like little to no current anyway. Way to go on being prepared!

Cloppy

Reaction score
Seems good to me! Although I would add some substrate depending on how large the axolotl are.

Wyvell

Reaction score
Fine sand substrate is great in axolotl tanks, you may consider adding some as it makes it easier for them to move around. Plus, with some substrate you can add some live plants which really help with water quality. watch your water parameters carefully after adding the axies, you may get an ammonia spike when they are introduced and this will require water changes and attention to fix.
Other than that, It looks like you are well on your way to being a good axolotl parent!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1