Question about water changes

SergicalCevi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
SergicalCevi
So, I just got my axolotl. I did all kinds of research which payed off cause he/ she seems pretty happy after settling in the first few days. Only thing is I just realized that the water changer/ gravel vac that my mom got for me isn't okay with sand or very fine gravel.
So I am trying to find some recommendations before buying a new one.
Mind helping me out?

I don't mind it being two separate devices if needed. Just wondering what my best options are.

You can’t really vacuum sand - well I haven’t been able to. Some with more experience my be able to help but I just use the tube and skim the top of the sand to suck up all the larger particles. Using a gravel vac on sand doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can siphon from a sand bed, even fine sand. This will depend on the two elements of your siphon. The bore of the main tube out dictates the flow rate (the pull) and ability of the water being siphoned to hold and carry solid materials. A small bore will suck up fine sand to a certain height before the sand falls back. This rotates the sand in the tube and really clears out lighter organic muck. A larger bore siphon tube has a greater ability to pull the water and will suck everything up and out without the fall back. You can help yourself by having a sand substrate gradient running down to the front (or back) of the tank which will help collect the organic material making it easy to get rid of.

I use a turkey baster, it is fast and simple, also cheap.
Then for cleaning I take a clean cup, and pour it into the sink, or a bucket.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back