Please help!!! I think my axolotl is dying!!

Shellzilla68

Reaction score
Country
United States
She has lightened in color drastically in the last 2 days. I have isolated her to a 10 gallon tank. PLEASE WHAT DO I DO!?! See pictures

Attachments

• 20171026_184648.jpg
    20171026_184648.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 20171026_184717.jpg
    20171026_184717.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 144
Can you show some pictures of before she lightened?

I don't keep them myself, but could the lighter coloring be a sign of shedding old skin?

This is what she used to look like. She was losing color around her face and I've been here and fb and no one had answers.... Now this is where we are!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170930-070611.png
    Screenshot_20170930-070611.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • 20171004_174048.jpg
    20171004_174048.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 162
I have no idea, the only thing I can think of is that your axolotl is actually a tiger salamander larva. But that is improbable.

Axolotl can become lighter in colour when kept in a lighter environment, maybe this is what is happening :)

I'm actually more worried about the gills. They appear to have gotten stringier; is she going for air at the surface a lot?
I had a golden axolotl that turned significantly paler and lost his gill quality because of an infection inside its gills.
As it's more difficult to breathe, they might become paler, due to less oxygen in their body.
If no one else has any better idea, I'd say your axolotl could do with some salt baths.

My very dark wt changed from almost black to gray over a couple weeks when she was about a year old... so maybe if your lotl is younger they are changing color as they mature? I would just make sure the water quality is good, and as long as its gills don't get too thin, it could just be changing colors as it ages.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back