Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my tank ready for an axolotl?

korimizu

Reaction score
Hey Caudata! I’m getting a new axolotl for my empty 20 gallon tank, and I wanted to make sure the levels are okay. Of course, shipping will take a couple days along with paying and such, so the tank isn’t quite 100% finished cycling, but by the end of the week do you think it’ll be okay?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: a little less than .25
Nitrate: somewhere between 5 and 10
Tank is about a month old, cycled with fish flakes

Also, will a diet of earthworms, bloodworms, axolotl pellets and perhaps some brine shrimp be sufficient? I’ve heard some people can feed their axies chicken, is this true? Thanks!

Eternie

Reaction score
I think it will be ready. And yes those will be all your Axie needs to survive!:)
Ive never heard of them eating chicken, haha. In fact Earthworms are the best thingfor them, and they can live on earthworms alone. If you feed BloodWorms be sure to put in some Salmon Pellets as well! I have no idea about brine shrimp.

JM29

Reaction score
25 for nitrites ?
Isn't that a bit high ?

I've always heard nitrite was highly toxic and that it should be almost undetectable.
Even low concentrations of 0.5mg/l over extended periods can cause long term damage
But you don't mention the unit.

ADelaney

Reaction score
My personal food recommendation is earthworms as that is about what they would eat in the wild and has all the nutrients they need. My axolotl is on an earthworm only diet and he is healthy and happy with it. If you are feeding bloodworms make sure they’re only an occasional treat as they have a very high fat content. Bribe shrimp can be very good for axxies as well but can get quite messy so you want to make sure you clean up the tank when he’s done. Soft sinking axolotl/salmon/fish pellets can be very good for them as well, I recommend around 45% protein and 20% fat. Also, I’ve heard of people feeding their axolotls chicken but it probably isn’t the most nutritional food for them.
Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!