Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is she full of eggs or just plump and healthy?

Cardosmf

Reaction score
cardosmf-albums4921-picture41098.jpg

cardosmf-albums4921-picture41095

Cardosmf

Reaction score
it could be the shadows but if you look in my photo gallery u can get better looking pictures well when its time for feeding the wild colored one will get a slimmer leaner torso as if he weren't eating enough as for the golden albino will always stay the same size and when she eats she tends to get even bigger or rounder. do they tend to compete over food could this be it?

akiso914

Reaction score
My girls are about that fat too, sometimes its eggs that they don't lay, but reabsorb. I think females tend to be rounder than males too

Cardosmf

Reaction score
Update on Lilo and Stitch.. So real early approximately 2:40 am my axies were doing the dance she gracefully accepted spermaphores and in not sure what to expect i had the honor to capture a very up close and almost intimate event on video which I thought I would never have the chance and the funny thing is earlier that day I noticed her tail a little Pinker than usual for a golden albino now I think I know why lol. I'm hoping she lays her eggs on the fake plants I have for easy removal I'm getting an egg setup started I'm excited and any advice is truly helpful I'm curious about the color variations in the up and coming month!! And not sure what to expect plz help!!:eek:

Cardosmf

Reaction score
Less than 12 hours in she started laying egg we have proud parents!! So far everything I have been researching has been happening the real challenge is the egg care. I have a 30 gallon bin setup with air stone any good suggestion s on caring how often should I be doing water changes 2xs daily?

Biev

Reaction score
You don’t need to change the water for the eggs, as they are not producing waste. All they need is an air stone and for you top too off the water if the level gets too low due to evaporation.

You should spend this time getting ready so you’ll have everything you need to feed the little ones, which is the actual challenge : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1