Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Does she need a companion? (new owner)

MavisTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Hello everyone, a brand new owner of a baby axolotl in need of guidance here, if you would be so kind.
I am not sure how old my little Mavis is, she is about 3 1/2 inches from nose to tip of her lovely tail. She has been with me for just over a week now, and is currently in a 70L tank. I have a much bigger one set aside for when she grows a little.
In your opinions, is it much easier/safer/kinder to introduce another axolotl as a friend for her while she is still so young? I mean another axolotl who appears to be around the same age and size? Or, are they just as happy on their own? I would be quite happy myself to keep her on her own, but want to do what is right by her, not by me.
I have just been to a volume calculator, and can tell you that my 2nd tank has a volume of
132L, or just under 30 imperial gallons, or 35 US gallons. Hope this helps.
Many thanks in advance, Anne.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1