Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How do I get axolotls to eat from a dish/wean from tong feeding?

kurkin92

Reaction score
Hi! Beginner here :)

I've had 2 axolotls for 4 months now (10 months old) and everything has been smooth sailing (thanks to reading lots of threads on here!). However, I'm trying to wean my axolotls from tong feeding with no luck. I put a wide dish on the bottom and spread the blood worms on it, but they are just not interested in eating unless the tongs are holding the worms. I even tried putting pellets with the worms, to no avail. I know they are hungry, but just won't eat on their own.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Tonnerre

Reaction score
When I got my axolotls they were fed with tongs -- I started using a turkey baster to drop the blood worms in front of them over their food dish. They'd grab the worms as they came out of the end of the turkey baster. I moved the turkey baster further and further away from their faces until they were eating the worms off the bottom of the dish without the turkey baster near them. Mine were a lot younger than 10 months, but it only took a couple of weeks of feeding to get them adjusted. They even started going to the food dishes when I'd turn the light on for feeding time. I'm pretty new at the axolotl thing myself, but I hope this helps or at least gives you a starting point for ideas.

kurkin92

Reaction score
When I got my axolotls they were fed with tongs -- I started using a turkey baster to drop the blood worms in front of them over their food dish. They'd grab the worms as they came out of the end of the turkey baster. I moved the turkey baster further and further away from their faces until they were eating the worms off the bottom of the dish without the turkey baster near them. Mine were a lot younger than 10 months, but it only took a couple of weeks of feeding to get them adjusted. They even started going to the food dishes when I'd turn the light on for feeding time. I'm pretty new at the axolotl thing myself, but I hope this helps or at least gives you a starting point for ideas.
Thank you! I will give the turkey baster a try and some patience :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1