Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Strange behaviour on feeding

Shinsei

Reaction score
Hi all, We have had our axolotl just ten days, did a lot of research into keeping her and have been getting used to her behaviours. I just fed her on a finely chopped up dendrobaena which she has had a couple times before. Suddenly, she is swimming around the tank, repeatedly gulping, floating, writhing and more gulping for what seemed like four or five minutes. She is now resing quietly on the bottom. It's given me quite a turn because I don't understand what is going on. Any ideas please, all you clever people?

Shinsei

Reaction score
Since posting the above, I removed her uneaten food from the tank and also found four 5mm to 10mm pieces of gravel on the bottom. I changed the water eight hours ago and had a general clean up and know that there was no gravel in the tank then. Neither has any been introduced in any way since. She is on a contoured 'slate' ceramic floor tile and large pebbles. I conclude therefore that axi has pooped the gravel. She came from a pet shop that kept axi's on gravel and in the first three days of having her she pooped three bits of gravel, and a couple more since. Is it possible for an axi to have this much gravel inside her and to retain some of it for ten days? Would pooping the gravel make her behave in this way? Now I am worrying lest there is still more to come out or that she is constipated. .

Biev

Reaction score
She could definitely still have some gravel in her system. A good way to determine that would be to take her to the vet's for x-rays. As for the weird behavior, sometimes they swallow air instead of breathing it, or they get gassy from eating, and this will make them float until they burp. It seems to stress them out a lot when they can't control their buoyancy, so that could be why yours was freaking out a little, fighting to get back down.

Shinsei

Reaction score
Thanks for that info Biev. I am slowly getting to know her bevaviours. She settled down a while after that episode. She is feeding OK. I noticed that after passing the last lumps of gravel, her abdomen changed colour from a kind of dark grey to light pink. It's now gone somewhat grey again after feeding, so I am guessing you can tell a little whether she has anything inside her or not. Just a tad concernd that she hasn't pooped lately, despite feeding. I guess that what goes in must eventually come out though. She seems happy enough today, exploring the new arrangement of the tank after doing a water change. Thanks again :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1