Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls with play sand or with rocks as bottom of tank

firebellynewt84

Reaction score
Hello, so recently a few months ago I got an Axolotl. Since then, he's grown HUGE! We're currently moving him into a bigger tank. But, my neighbor who has a lot of lizards went to an Axolotl breeder and they told him that rocks were better than play sand cause if one eats a rock it would realize it and spit it out rather than play sand. I've insisted that we keep the sand cause of the stories I've heard online, but what is really better. Rocks or Play sand? I want to do what's best for my axolotl. Thanks! :D

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do not get rocks. Do a search on axolotls and rocks on this site and you will read many accounts of how bad and dangerous they are.

Eternie

Reaction score
Never NEVER ever put rocks in an Axolotls aquarium. They WONT spit it out. They will end up swallowing it because their mouth acts as a vacuum essentially. It WILL kill them because they cannot pass rocks if they swallow, and if they do it is a very hard and stressful time for the Axolotl. Stick with the play sand or aquarium sand, they can pass it, and they will spit it out, mine spits it out when he realizes he got a mouthful of sand and not bloodworm. So PLEASE for the sake of your little Lotl, please don't put gravel in your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1