Two axolotl both very different

Yocelynn1312

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I just recently received two abandoned Axolotl literally on my doorstep about two days ago. one is an albino, and I believe the other one is a wild type. For the moment they are in a 10gal tank, with a mesh separator in the middle.

The albino seems fine, perfectly straight tail at all times, but doesn't seem to want to eat any live food. she (assuming its a she) only wants to eat frozen bloodworms. shes still eating, but should I be concerned about her not wanting to eat anything else?

My second concern is that the wild-type when I received it is missing three feet. I know they are regenerative, but is there any precautions I have to take while he's healing? Also, he has a huge appetite, he was very thin when I got him, and he will only eat live food. His appetite isn't a concern of mine, but his tail is quite Wavy and has been since I received him. It's not curled just wavy. should I be concerned?

It's only been two days, and they have gone through a stressful experience. It's a good sign that they're eating at all! I'd say give your albino some time to transition to live food. She may need to regain her strength first.

As for the other one, there are no precautions to take besides the basics: cold, clean water, a cycled filter and not too much flow. In my (limited) experience, wavy tails are a sign of pain or discomfort, which isn't surprising given his injuries. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that except give it time. On the bright side, they heal suprisingly fast!

For the Wildtype you also need to watch out for any infections like fungus growing on his feet or his gills for any reason, if that happned's put he/she in a salt bath for a few minuets and the fungus should come off. He will thrash around in the tank a little bit cause it hurts them a little but they will be fine and it wont kill them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back