Question: Water hardness in relation to anemia

Alioth

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Display Name
Tess
Hi guys,

It has been a while since I posted here. In 2016 I lost my first two axies after 8 years to an unknown disease that caused bloat. In january of this year I aquired a batch of 25 larvae. I raised those and kept 3: a golden, a wild type and a leucistic. When I raised the batch there were two leucistics that were together in a container that did the pale ghost thing: becoming completely white, not a trace of pink left. A few hours later they were back to their pinky self and never thought too much of it.
Back to the three I kept. They are doing very good and look good. They are about a year old now and since the golden is a male, I have had eggs from both the wildtype and the leucistic. My question now: My leucistic is doing great, eating well ( like a pig) behaving normally, just being a happy lotl really. Her gills are always a pale pink, almost never vibrant red ( she never did the pale ghost thing either) I thought that was just the way she is, although reminded that her gills looked more red and vibrant when she was still with the batch in tubs and had daily water changes. Now she is in a filtered tank that is being kept at 19°C by a chiller. However, when she laid her eggs suddenly her gills got that vibrant red colouring again. It looked spectacular. I now ask myself if it could be due to water hardness. I tested the water with a strip ( i dont have a drip test for this one) and my hardness should be higher than 10°d but less than 16. If it could be due to water hardness I could maybe put in a limestone? I it is just the way she is than I l don't mind Iove her regardless! What do you think? I attach a picture of how she looks normally in an active state. IMG_4111.JPG

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back