Question: Wellness check, where’s the poops?!

Nkalda95

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

We’ve had our little axi Robert for about a year now. (And yes we beilieve he’s a female.) he has been showing no signs of stress or sickness, eats regularly, but I haven’t been able to find any signs that he’s been pooping. I’m worried he’s constipated but I want to be sure before I resort to a fridge treatment, I don’t want to risk hurting him if it’s unnecessary. Do the dark spots on his belly seem normal, or does it look like back up? He eats a diet of Live earthworms and ghost shrimp, and has never shown a loss of appetite. He stays fairly active and like I said, shows no obvious signs of any problems. Now that I’m worried, everything he does is starting to appear as a sign of possible problems so could you guys take a look at this pictures posted and tell me what you think? Thank you!

Attachments

• 6DB8B916-E065-4DF8-BE00-D23EA6FE8FB1.jpg
    6DB8B916-E065-4DF8-BE00-D23EA6FE8FB1.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 4806ECAE-9D97-4824-A140-E48408B5EAB1.jpg
    4806ECAE-9D97-4824-A140-E48408B5EAB1.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 7EE97DF6-24D4-434F-9E9B-86F01B275C69.jpg
    7EE97DF6-24D4-434F-9E9B-86F01B275C69.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 154
She looks healthy to me. As long as she’s eating a normal amount, I wouldn’t worry about not seeing poop. Sometimes they eat their own poop. Mine do!

(edit) Looks like Robert is a Roberta ; ) Maybe a Bobbie?

Yes, we were planning on getting her a tankmate before we knew how to tell the gender, luckily the woman at the pet store cautioned us about making sure so we don’t endup with a bunch of babies. But since we’ve had him (her) for a year now we can’t seem to stop calling her a him so we’re staying with the name Robert ? Very modern household haha. Thanks for the feedback though! Finally saw a nice big poop a few days ago.

Hello,

Excuse me to answer so late but I'd like to share an observation :
In spring and automn, the diet of my axies is mainly earthworms.
Earthworms seem to be very well assimilated, so that the poops are rare and mainly made of a bit of clean earth (the worm's gut) wich doesn't last a long time.

I then usually see few or no poop in these conditions and I never worry about it.

Conversely, in summer, when earthworms tend to be difficult to find, I need to use pellets or others foods and then I see more often poops (and more algae also).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back