Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Garys not doing well

GarytheAxol

Reaction score
Hi, so I am a new owner to an axolotle named Gary. Im actually new to owning anything other than a dog and I'm very concerned cause he does not look good. He seemed to be fine when I first got him but has declined this week. We noticed on Monday that he had diarrhea. The pH seems to be very high in his water, despite using pH decreaser. If anyone has some recommendations for what I need to put in his water to make him better I'd really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go get some ICK stuff I saw at the pet store the other day. He does appear to have scaly, whitish areas and his gills dont look good either.
I put different sand in cause the stuff he had before was too big. I used play sand that I washed but its still looking pretty murky in his water.
Also, what method does everyone use to keep the water cool enough? Ive just been putting frozen water bottles in there cause it has been too warm.

Ive attached some pics, although I'm not sure you can really see how he looks in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Kaitlin

Attachments

• Gary 1.jpg
    Gary 1.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 180
  • gary 2.jpg
    gary 2.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 147
  • gary 3.jpg
    gary 3.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 165

Eternie

Reaction score
Okay, so for starters, your pH needs to be between 7.0 and 7.2, and the ammonia needs to be 0. To keep the water cool, you can buy an aquarium fan, or an aquarium chiller. I hope you went through the complete cycle that a filter goes through the first 6-8 weeks when an ammonia source is introduced into the aquarium. Axolotls cannot survive this process. Washed playsand is fine, in a few days the filter should clear up the murkiness.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases Here is the link to illnesses for axolotls, because I am slightly unsure, though I suspect it is Colummnaris, and if you can Identify it as Columnaris then tell me, and I can direct you on what you need to do. Many things can lead to Colummnaris such as the temperature being too high, and pH being too low. Please tell me what your ammonia and pH is sitting at.

If you need any information on the care for axolotls please please please ask me. I would be more than happy to answer questions.

stefan429

Reaction score
Whitish stuff sounds like fungus, try fridging him?

I've heard frozen bottles fluctuate the temperature too much unless you're replacing them constantly. I would get a cheap fan that can clip on the side. I bought a 5 fan one and had to break a part of my border to have it fit but it decreased the temp from 20C to 16ish. If you're in a hot area, buy a chiller, it's very expensive.

Mine got diarrhea sometimes at first, just depends on diet or stress I guess.

As for the pH, you need to check all the parameters. I guess ammonia could be increasing it.

Also agree with everything last poster said. Not sure about Columnaris or whatever disease he may have though, sorry.

Btw Gary is adorable af. :p :p

Hellcat73

Reaction score
:eek:Do not use fish medication!!!! axolotls can die from certain chemicals etc..and absorb through their skin! Im in Leduc,alberta not far from you..join my FB page:
AB Axolotls
..maybe i can walk you thrugh some things and get you on track..i wait weeks or months getting answers here(no offence)but learn aot by doig serches here and reading other posts

Hellcat73

Reaction score
P.s - dont use anything..to decrease ph ..alberta water is perfect PH! all you ever need here is Seachem PRIME and thats all! come find me on FB

Eternie

Reaction score
Fridging will not help with white fungus, white fungus means Columnaris, which means you need to treat it with salt baths, that is the only fix, and it won't get any better without one. If you don't know how to give a proper Salt bath please say something to me, I will walk you through it for if done the wrong way, it can be fatal to the axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!