Question: CA newt new owner questions

KingSloth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
KingSloth
Hello!
I just got a California Newt, he is about an inch and a half long, and I just had some questions about him.
California newts have very few care sites, so limited info is available.
Also, any other info is greatly appreciated!

What is normal behavior?(moving around, stationary)

Are they nocturnal/diurnal?

Should he be spending more time on land than water?

Are mealworms an okay food source? Everything else is too big for him.

Is Sphagnum Moss a good substrate for him?

When should he start eating? (I got him a couple days ago)

I have him in a 2.5 gallon right now. When should I move him into a 10 gallon?

IMG_2639.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 160
Don't know that much about taricha, but meal worms are poor choice and should be avoided. Fruit flies, pinhead crickets, white worms and chopped earthworms are better options. Spagnum moss is acidic and probably shouldn't be the main component of your substrate. Generally it's always better to have a larger setup so I don't think you need to wait to move to a 10g if you have the option.

That's all I got. I'm sure others will reply with more advice specific to taricha torosa.

Buy some live blackworms... he/she will love them! Sphagnum isn't the best moss but it isn't terrible either. I use a mix of coco fiber, sand, and good ole outdoor dirt from a place that I know has no fertilizers or pesticides. I do use local moss in my setups and spray it down thoroughly every few days or so. Devil's ivy tends to be a good hardy plant that will grow anywhere so I have used that as well as native California plants in their set up. Oddly when you have more plants and potential hides you will actually see them be more active. I attribute this to them being more comfortable in their surroundings.

Ca Newts tend to be diurnal but they are a bit more active in the evening. Hope this helps.

Where is a good place to buy black worms? My newt is very tiny. He is an inch and a half long. Thank you very much for you comment.

Okay at that length you can feed them chopped black worms as they still wriggle and will cause a feeding response from your newt or you can use pinhead crickets or fruit flies. You can purchase blackworms from most local aquarium stores and the pinhead crickets and fruit flies can be purchased at Petco.

What neck of the woods are you at. Perhaps I can help you find a place that sells live blackworms.

Thank you so much! I found a spot for black worms, and he ate a couple mealworms today. I also moved him to a 10 gallon and added some hides! Thank you so much for all of your help.

Be careful with mealworms. Small newts sometimes cannot fully digest them. I've seen mealworms eat there way out of small amphibians before. Just want to let you know.

Okay thank you. He ate one, should I be worried? I will go get small crickets for him.

Normal behavior is active, though juveniles (especially wild caught animals which I assume this is) tend to be more shy and secretive in my experience. They are active both day and night. He should be fully terrestrial other than an occasional trip to the water bowl. I’d keep him in the 2.5 gallon for now as it makes it a lot easier for him to find food, as opposed to a larger tank where prey items have more room to avoid him. Once he gets a bit bigger upgrade, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back