Preparing a new tank for an old axolotl

cuwee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I recently adopted a 9/10 year old axolotl, she's very healthy and happy but I would like to get her a new tank. Mostly because her tank at the moment is one of those where the filter is attached inside and I find this hard to clean and worried it's not the best thing for her in general.

Could I get some opinions on my plan please?

First of all I plan on buying the Fluval U2 filter (http://amzn.eu/4J6NPbN) and running that in the tank now alongside the current filter for a month.

Then, I would set up the new tank with some plants and toys that are from the current tank, the new filter and some tank water and then cycle the tank with dead, raw prawns. I imagine having the filter that has been in use for a month, the stuff from the tank and the tank water would cut down the cycling process to about 2 weeks?

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back