Photo: Nearing the end...

infinity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I think she's on the way out...

This is Victoria - one of the best pests you'll ever find.

I got her as an adult as a rescue axolotl from a scientific lab. She was being used to lay eggs for research and came with a life-long partner we called Albert... (who died maybe four years ago). We are *guessing* it took maybe two years to become adult from the amount she was being fed, and was used for the egg-laying trials for maybe another three. She has since lived another ten years so doing super well!

She lives exclusively on a diet of pigs kidney - strips about the size of a McDonalds french fry and was ALWAYS hungry, and won't take anything else! - she's our princess.

Recently she has been slowing down, hasn't eaten for a week and she looks like she is starting to shed skin... She seems to enjoy floating and regularly burps to sink again without no apparent discomfort. I know this isn't something they're meant to do but she really doesn't seem to care.

Overall we have mated her about five times due to her getting fat and in an attempt to *de-fatten* her and because hey, all ladies gotta get some! Her babies have had babies and their babies have had babies so she is a proud great grandmother! - We have kept and/or given away many of them, some already up to ten inches long (25 cm).

Victoria herself is a good foot long, (30+ cm). We actually think she is blind as unlike all the others, she doesn't come to the food, we have to hand-feed her...

Anyway, Please wish her the best, she is amazing!:happy:

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Image-1 (1).jpg
    Image-1 (1).jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 101
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back