Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Gill stalk tip bent and turned white?!?!

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
About a week ago, I had to move my tanks into a different room. The lotls went into the hospital tank for about 30-40 minutes while I emptied, moved and refilled each tank. Yes, tight quarters, but for a short amount of time. A couple of the lotls have little bends in their stalks.

2 days ago, Monster took perch at the top of a plant and had his/her stalk tips out of water.

Now, Monster seems to have his/her tips curling/bending and turning white at the tips. I do not see any fuzz. Photos close up of Monster. Last picture is from behind.

Nobody else in the tank has white tips?

HELP?!?!

Temp 63' F
Ammonia 0.5 (always at 0.5 even after filtering and treating)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10

Attachments

• monster01.jpg
    monster01.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 866
  • 20180110_100409.jpg
    20180110_100409.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 20180110_111647.jpg
    20180110_111647.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 174
  • BackOfMonsterAntlers.jpg
    BackOfMonsterAntlers.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 232

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

Its been a while but did you clear this up? It does not seem very bad from the pictures.

I would up the water changes bit more and monitor the progress. Maybe even a bit of API Melafix as per bottle instructions or maybe bit less. Before jumping into more serious medications :)

Btw how can you ammonia stay always at 0,5? Are you sure your filter is cycled ammonia should be zero or the filter can not keep up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!