Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Dull skin on Marbled newt

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I have noticed a change in the skin color and texture of one of my Marbled newts. It is considerably duller than normal, and the texture seems to have changed. In addition, this newt appears more lethargic than usual, and sometimes lies out in the open for hours at a time. At first I thought the lack of activity may be tied to the cold weather, but the other newts don't seem to be affected.
They are kept in a densely planted terrarium. I have had them about five months. Current temps are low to mid fifties. With the cold weather, they are less active than usual, but otherwise appear to be feeding and healthy.
I read that they can get nitrate poisoning from substrate if it is not changed, and that can present as dull skin. Could that be what this newt has, after only five months? Or are there other possible causes?
The afflicted newt is now quarantined, I'm waiting to see if it clears up.
Thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• marmoratus.jpg
    marmoratus.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 309

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That young of a newt probably would not put off enough waste to poison the substrate. You can use bioactive substrate (springtails and dwarf isopods) to help keep the substrate clean.

What foods are you offering the salamander.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
They're eating crickets, chopped earthworms (euro. crawlers) and tiny dubia.
I do have springtails in there also.
They have grown considerably in the time that I've had them.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Maybe- but it's been like this a couple of weeks. I'll keep it isolated for a while, maybe the condition will clear up.

red newt

Reaction score
I have a similar problem.
I bought larvae of Marbled newts from two breeders.
One group of them became as dull as yours and another became vivid green.
I reared them in almost same condition.
I wonder why.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1