Absolutely brand new

droberts

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Di
Hey guys,

So I've been wanted an axolotl since forever and my partner surprised me and got me one, so I am totally green at this and all advice is much appreciated I have done as much research as possible online but as you would all know there is no better knowledge and little tricks then from people who actually own them so I'm up and open to hear everything that everyone has got and I'm glad to be talking to other owners.
My axolotls name is freckles he is only a baby not sure what sex yet (although I keep calling him he lol I don't want to call him it lol) he is only 12cm long I have been keeping his tanking temp at around 17 to 22 degrees and today he has had a very active day I have enjoyed sitting around watching him play today, I did originally have river stones in his tank but i removed them this morning as I was told they probably aren't the best for him as his poo and food might get caught beneath them and also that a bare bottom tank is the best way to go. As i said all advice is welcome I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Welcome to the forum! I think with a little browsing you should be able to learn all you need to know to keep axies successfully. GOod luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back