Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Spits out blood while eating

AndyTheAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys,

Today when I was feeding my axolotl she started bleeding a tiny bit and then spat out a blood clot. Food was the same as normal which was just a cube of specially formulated frozen axolotl food. She swallowed the cube and then some blood started seeping from her mouth and eventually she spat out a lump of blood. Water parameters were perfect and there are no signs of fungus or infection. She lives alone in a 150L tank. Do you guys think I need to take any further action or is it a one off thing? I'd prefer not to do salt baths as she gets stressed really easily when getting moved.

Thank you

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 178
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 152
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 146
Maybe it was just something from her food?
Anyway her gills don't look so great.

What is in the specially formulated axolotl food? Is it commercial food or home made?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back