Dying axolotl :(

Skelly

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello- this is my first time ever using a forum, hopefully im doing it right.

I really need some help for my axilotl Skelly. This is going to be a long one- so bear with me.

I've had skelly since August last year, I got her as a baby from an aquarium.
shes always been a pain to feed- I have to litterly dangle food right in her face or she won't eat at all.
She was eating frozen food- but slowly lost interest: I swapped to earthworms and she loved them- but she slowly stopped eating at all.
She would occasionally show interest- but if she took one bite would spit it out.
Then she didn't show much interest at all- she would approach the food then swim to the surface for air.

she hasn't eaten for weeks- and is very skinny... she would occasionally float- and her legs would sort of be vertical. I came home to find her floating head down bum up- and was struggling to get her bum down. I've been refrigerating her ever since. Maybe a week or two now. But it hasn't made her look any healthier- she's pooped small green stuff only twice, and she's looking very veiny and horrible.

I'm almost certai she will die- but I don't want to give up. I've tried to improve her tank with plants and more places to hide- and have started introducing tank water to her fridge container- so I can put her back in the tank (she doesn't float anymore) but hasn't eaten still- and I have a feeling she won't eat. :/

Re: Dying axilotl:(

Hello , sorry to hear that your axie is having issue.

Here are few things for to work on.

Water quality ,
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrates

How do I check the ammonia, Nitrite and nitrates?

Hello I was just editing my post when ISP decided to have internet outrage, that was not my full post.

Ok so you will need to get test kit that has those what I would suggest is API Freshwater Master Test Kit best one for the buck, there are various other strip like ones as well but API one will last you much longer!

Until then we are going to assume your water quality is bad and that means you do more ofter water changes, when in doubt do a water change! :) , this will dilute your ammonia, NO2, NO3, bad water quality is start of many issues fixing it would be first step in any recover scenario. Please use water conditioner like API Prime for the new tap water ( tap water contains chlor/amines, which are deadly in enough quantity) , API Prime will also help you with temporarily locking down ammonia , nitrites and nitrate.

Read about the aquarium nitrogen cycle aka cycling a tank this will help you understand water how to keep good water quality and grow beneficial bacteria that will take care of the ammonia and nitrite for you.

Next what is your current temperature? You should try lowering it to around 10C and keeping it there. Try offering some pellet food or even frozen bloodworms i have found this to be UN-resistable for mine, its not best or most nutritional food but its better than no food at all in your case until things get better. Try to feed and keep the uneaten food left in the water to minimum.

When its healthy try rotating the food the more diverse the better.

If she still woudnt eat you might want to read more about fridging it more. You said you are introducing tank water to the container but you dont know your tank water parameters what if you are just keep giving her bad water over and over again.

If you have more questions feel free to ask :)

I use a water ager and a water conditioner- and just follow the instructions. It's what I was told to do by the aquarium shop I bought the axo from. The temp is Around 15-20 degrees. The PH level is good. Injave a good filter and an air bubble thing.
I've returned her to the tank- she appears to be growing a new tail? And has white fuzzy stuff in her feet. Appears her bum has started floating again. And still has no interest in food.
Pellets are no good bwvuae she doesn't eat from the bottom of the tank, she only eats when I dangle food in front of her with tongs.
I've tried every single food option that they can eat.
When I put food near her- she frantically swims to the surface for air- then swims back down to hide.

Stupid pet shop people said axilotls were basically as easy to keep at gold fish :/ it's causing me so much stress. Like if she's in pain and dying I need to put her out of her misery. :( I've spent so much time and money trying to improve the enclosure... I'm almost ready to give up .

Can you post a picture of her tail and feet? Sounds like she has a fungus on her feet. For this you can put her in a salt bath. https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72698 gives you a step-by-step guide

When you tried pellets were you dropping them in front of her face? My Bucky ignores them unless they are dropped right in front of him. Keep trying with the earthworms, if she doesn't eat them take them out so they aren't wasted.

Keep fridging her and use salt baths, the colder the water the less she will want to eat so she shouldn't lose as much weight as she would in your tank.

Get test kits asap for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia. They are more expensive in store than online but you're better off not waiting for an online delivery. It is really important to have these anyways so you do need it.

When she is in your tank use frozen water bottles to lower the temp.

I know how stressful it is having a sick axie but keep trying. Goodluck and keep us updated!

\

Stupid pet shop people said axilotls were basically as easy to keep at gold fish :/ it's causing me so much stress. Like if she's in pain and dying I need to put her out of her misery. :( I've spent so much time and money trying to improve the enclosure... I'm almost ready to give up .

If only there was some kind of endless web of information out there and tools and means to search it and do a research about axolotls before you commited to keeping them.... if only..

With that attitude you will get nowhere... and yeah keeping pets means spending money on them. If you cant commit and afford to pay bills or visit to the vet when needed next time do the research.

Oh and btw gold fish are also acceptable to everything you have described in your post... so doubt that would of turned different.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back