Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tips on raising Cynops Orientalis Efts?

23matt3

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I will be getting 5 Cynops Orentails efts tomorrow. I've read over all the care guides, I am just looking too see if anyone has done this personally with success and check out their setups.

On the care guide I also noticed there are various ways to have a setup (Terrestrial with soil, Terrestrial with paper towels) I have even seen the full aquatic setup to where they load the tank with plants and have about a 1 inch of water. I have a 5 gallon aquarium setup and ready to go for them. I am just looking to see which setup is the best. I was half tempted to do the full aquatic setup because that will jump start the aquatic process but the person I am getting them from raised them fully terrestrial and they are only eating fruit flies with a vitamin dusted on at the moment. I am just worried about changing their whole way of life and they either starve or die.

Please comment or PM me any tips or suggestions on a good setup! I'm just seeing a lot of options and want to make sure I have the best setup for them. I am getting overwhelmed haha If you have any other tips or tricks on raising them successfully let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Tips on raising Cymops Orentalis Efts?

The easiest way I've found for raising terrestrial Cynops is a simple set up with damp kitchen towel substrate and a hide. I normally feed chopped small earthworms and live bloodworm and clean the container/change the substrate every two days or so.
It might be worth seeing if they will take to an weedy, shallow aquatic setup, at a year old they should be ready soon.
Good luck with them! :)

23matt3

Reaction score
c14a11618c290d8b256661aae6986cbe.jpg
1aba6a15730764c461536af770c93692.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23matt3

Reaction score
Chinadog, thanks. This is the setup I decided to use! Substrate on one side and water at about half inch on the other. Covered in java moss, anarchis, water lettuce and a rock, just to prevent the risk of drowning while encouraging aquatic behavior

23matt3

Reaction score
ae614d5b42dcc805341d5296d3a8291b.jpg

One of 5 little guys to keep my hands full!! Lol

Going to attempt to feed them dusted fruit flies tonight. Any tips?

Wish me luck!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!