Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: 2yr Axolotl Suddenly vomiting all food

Severance

Reaction score
My axolotl Watz just turned 2yrs a few months ago. The past 2-3 weeks she has been vomiting everything I have given her. She hasn't kept any decent food down in over a week. She also hasn't passed any food.

She eats a mixture of Red Wrigglers and Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets and loves both.

My water parameters are fine (I had them tested a Petsmart with an API master kit and forgot the write the exact numbers but I'm 100% sure they all fell withing normal ranged). Regardless I have been doing more frequent water changes (20-30%) to see if it helps, but no luck yet. I will get them tested again ASAP and take down the numbers.

Her tank temperature averages 64-67F. She is the only animal in a 30g.

I have done some reading and I am worried she is impacted and won't keep down food because it would rot in her stomach. However I have no idea what she could be impacted on. I have used the same sand and decorations since I got her. She's not fed on the sand either, but in a ceramic bowl. However she shows no tells signs of being constipated other than the vomiting. She curls her tail a lot, but no gill curling.

Currently she is in the fridge and has been for a bit over 12hrs as I write this at a temp of 42F.

My main concern is she is starting to lose noticeable weight. I'm not sure if I should be concerned yet but here is her currently:

https://i.imgur.com/d7oJMu3.jpg - if the images wont load here is the link.

cache.php

cache.php

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1