Does he have fungus?

Jessdino

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
axolittle
I’ve had Axolotls for a long time and I’ve even bred them but I’ve never had a fungus issue before. I noticed my adult males foot looked green on the pads and that his toe had a little fuzz on it. I’m not sure if this is fungus or just his slime coat. He’s always had a sensitive slime coat and but this is new. I’m worried because I just introduced my subadults to his tank a few days ago. With a tank divider of course! He’s also holding his foot up like it’s irritated. (White patch on his side normal. He’s had that since I got him.) Does this look like fungus or a irritated slime coat om his foot?

05525608-7A78-48CB-A65C-B57C24C45AD4.jpg

18391E4E-B00F-4A4E-859E-EDAD10CCDF14.jpg

48FD0A39-97C8-4DAA-8958-DC1BF9176550.jpg

Fuzzyness usually indicates fungus so try some short salt baths. I'm not sure why it is green, any fungus I have encountered with my axies was always white lol
Check your new ones for signs of the same thing, it is possible they brought it when you introduced them.
Have you tested your water to make sure your parameters are normal?

I’m not worried about my subadults bringing it in. I actually raised them up myself and kept them nice and clean. I’ve been watching them closely for months and no signs of fungus. The toes on Toothless were slightly more fuzzy today so I did start him on salt baths.

I did a full test of his water using the API freshwater kit tonight.

Ph-6.4 (his normal but low I suppose)
Ammonia-0.25ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-2.5ppm

I did just remove his plants a few weeks ago because they were dying so I did expect that to affect the levels and he may have scratched up his toes trying to get through the tank divider. As of right now I’m going to continue the salt baths and quarantine him from the other 2. I’ll keep a close eye on Puddle and Parker.

You should start seeing improvement quickly with the salt baths :)
Do some water changes to bring the ammonia back down to 0 as well, the dying plants may have affected it like you said. Keep an eye on your temp as well.
Keep us updated!

He’s doing better luckily. Keeping an eye on the little ones for signs of fungus as well.

Thought I'd give an update. I did salt baths on my adult melanoid, Toothless, for 10 days. His foot cleared up perfectly. I reintroduced him to my sub adults Parker and Puddle and they are doing just fine. Glad I caught the fungus fast. I think Toothless hurt his food trying to get through the tank divider since this happened when I first introduced the subs to the tank (both I've had since they were babies and was finally putting them in the same tank.) All three are doing fantastic now and I couldn't be happier! :D

Great news!! Thank you for the update!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back