Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: About breeding

Tal

Reaction score
After reading about how to get them "in the mood" I'm curious as to if a controlled unchanging environment will prevent it. IE Same duration of light each day and a minimal temperature variation. My tank has the same amount of light each day as it is on a timer and the temp is 17 - 18C

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
So what I've been told is that after a big storm usually in spring, if you do a bigger water change after it, it will get them in the "breeding mood". I was told this by my dad's friend who used to breed a lot of axolotls, so maybe it will work. My axolotls bred last year after we had a big storm so I think the barometric pressure might impact them, but I don't know.

aalysaz

Reaction score
Hi! I think I might be able to answer your question.
According to axolotl.org, “The former Indiana University Axolotl Colony used changes in the length of light period to trigger spawning. Males and females are subjected to a decreasing "daylight" period over a few weeks, and then the duration of lighting is steadily increased. They then put a male and a female together and courtship behaviour usually follows.”
Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!