Illness/Sickness: Tapeworm??

AlexV

Reaction score
Country
United States
So A few days a noticeable bump appeared on the axolotls side, today I noticed it had ruptured and was able to grab the worm out of it as it was allready partially out. Any ideas exactly what this is and what medicine can be used to prevent this in my other axolotols?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Alex

Attachments

• C1115541-F7F6-4868-A87A-2D22628E8E04.jpg
    C1115541-F7F6-4868-A87A-2D22628E8E04.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 128
  • 88CCD873-7060-49E6-9C45-9C3C6D67346A.jpg
    88CCD873-7060-49E6-9C45-9C3C6D67346A.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 115
That is truly disgusting! How long did you axolotl have this sore? And how did you figure out it was a worm?

Well I guess its time to look up some dewormers like levamisole and febendazole , but before you do decide whatever you use do your research what is safe and what is not.

I don't think it's an anchor worm, not the right color but it could be a camallanus?
The google pics of those seem to be right. But I'm also not sure, I'm not an expert on parasitic worms. If you think that could be the worm there's another thread in the sick axolotl forum for treating it.
Whatever it is, it's definitely not something anyone wants to find on their pet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back